October 3, 2016

On Tour With Belle Noire: Day 26


We crashed at what would be our last hotel of tour just outside of Scottsdale, AZ. It was a last second decision swayed by the fact that it was 82 degrees at 2:00am and we didn’t want to sweat to death in our sleep. Prior to that decision, Dan and Joey just got away with buying booze before Arizona’s liquor laws kicked in at 2:00am. We were destined to have a fun night in our hotel.

After a night of laughing and falling asleep watching the terribly aged remake of “Lost In Space,” we woke up intermittently. I snagged a shower right before our water was shut off. Apparently there was a city-wide shut down for a water leak in Scottsdale and the cut off time was 10:00am. What a wonderful way to start the last day of tour. I took charge of our half-showered crew and led the lunch brigade to WhatABurger. I had been hankering for some WhatABurger ever since we passed Texas state lines, but the opportunity never presented itself.

Filled to the brim, we made our way to the venue. Pub Rock looked like your typical bar in a mini-strip mall from the outside, but inside was decorated in framed posters, guitars, and NFL banners galore. We each spent a good amount of time wandering around the rooms and checking out famous bands who had made their way through Pub Rock at some point. Posters for Fenix TX, Forever the Sickest Kids, Every Time I Die and more put smiles on our faces and absorbed our quiet “whoas” with each passing. With a good 4 hours to kill before load in, everyone found their own comfy spot for laying down and rested a while.


A good friend of Belle Noire’s, Grant, met up with us just after load in and brought pizza. This tour never ceases to amaze me at how small of a world it is. Grant grew up in Michigan just 20 minutes outside of where I went to college. Once you get a taste of this kind of life, everyone seems to know everyone somehow. We shared some beers and talked about our new lifestyles away from Michigan.

Belle Noire headlined the show with palpable amounts of energy. It was a combination of going all-out for the last show and also to knock themselves out easier for the 11 hour ride home. We chatted with the local bands for a while before packing up for the trip home.


There was a sense of excitement and sadness occupying my mind. I longed for the comfort of my bed and shower, but knew I had to return to normality in a few days. There’s nothing quite like tour and experiencing something new every day. The unpredictable nature of life on the road made other priorities feel mundane. I didn’t have to worry about my roommates not cleaning up after themselves, finding parking on the streets of SF, work meetings, or waking up to the same 4 white walls I had become accustomed to. Each one of those examples share similarities to daily occurrences on tour, but were still radically different. Time had flown by and my worries were at a minimum. Tour has taught me why musicians do what they do and why tour is more important than just “getting your name out there.” For some, life on tour is home. I can see why it’s an addicting drug for some. Time will tell if I end up getting the itch to go back out.

Written by: Patrick Marion

Posted by in Editorials and tagged as